US Tax Return Preparation

Yes, Ledgers even offers US Tax Return Preparation, through your local Ledgers Professional.

American Citizens residing in Canada and Canadians with US Income must file an annual 1040 or 1040NR tax return.

Of course, as one of the largest accounting systems in Canada we have the ability to prepare those returns for you.

The United States and Canada do have a Tax Treaty between the countries, which means, that there are policies in place to ensure that citizens of either country are not victims of double-taxation.

It also means, taxes you have paid in one country will be considered in the other country when you file your tax returns.

Need help with your US Tax Return Preparation? Contact your Local Ledgers Professional or Contact Us HERE

Who must file a Canadian Tax Return?

As a non-resident of Canada, you pay tax on income you receive from sources in Canada. The type of tax you pay and the requirement to file an income tax return depend on the type of income you receive.

You must file a Canadian income tax return if you:

  • have to pay tax
  • want to claim a refund

Who must file a US Return?

  1. A nonresident alien individual engaged or considered to be engaged in a trade or business in the United States during the year.
  2. A nonresident alien individual who is not engaged in a trade or business in the United States and has U.S. income on which the tax liability was not satisfied by the withholding of tax at the source.
  3. A representative or agent responsible for filing the return of an individual described in (1) or (2),
  4. A fiduciary for a nonresident alien estate or trust, or
  5. A resident or domestic fiduciary, or other person, charged with the care of the person or property of a nonresident individual may be required to file an income tax return for that individual and pay the tax

Non-Resident Tax Questions, contact the applicable Government Sites Here:

United States Internal Revenue Service

Canada Revenue Agency

Download a checklist here